Small changes over time can make a big impact on our health. Today’s diet is so dependent on packaged, processed and modified foods, we’ve forgotten what real food is!
Tips: Choose organic when you can to avoid chemicals and GMOs. Select local, in-season whole foods. Stay away from refined sugars, flours and simple carbohydrates as much as possible.
Here are a dozen easy ways to eat cleaner and healthier.
• Swap sugary, high-carb cereals with high protein options such as free range eggs, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt or a bowl of your own favourite blend of nuts, seeds and low glycemic fresh fruit.
• Swap high sugar and high caloric fruit juice with (non-starchy) vegetable juice. To make it even better, do the juicing yourself!
• Swap wraps, bread and bagels with collard greens and seaweed paper. Try these ideas, too.
• Swap high carbohydrate pizza crust with eggplant or zucchini crust.
• Swap high carb pasta with spaghetti squash and vegetable noodles made at home with a spirulator.
• Swap refined white rice with organic whole grain quinoa or these higher protein gluten-free grains.
• Swap white potatoes with sweet potatoes that contain far more nutrients.
• Swap refined mineral-depleted table salt with clean, mineral-rich Himalayan rock salt.
• Swap refined sugar with stevia (powder or liquid).
Baking & Treats
• Swap nutrient poor rice flour and corn flour with almond flour, coconut flour or seed flour.
• Swap store bought chocolate with homemade chocolate, made free of refined sugar.
Last but not least: Hydration
• Swap sweetened carbonated beverages that are high in sugar/artificial sweeteners and caffeine with sparkling water or water fused with a splash of organic lemon juice. ♦